Date(s) - 21/05/2019 - 22/05/2019
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Date and Location:
Tuesday 21st May
Slough (Holiday Inn, Slough)
Wednesday 22nd May
Redditch (Solid State Supplies Ltd)
The focus of this workshop is around High Brightness SMT packages (3W-300W) in single and multi-channel applications. Relevant application areas would be Architectural, CCTV and Security, Chemical Analysis, Diagnostics, Entertainment and Stage Lighting, Licence Plate Recognition, Medical Illumination, Medical Treatment, Non-Destructive Testing, UV Curing, Vehicle Lighting, and Machine Vision.
The workshop will explain relevant technical and commercial details for available LEDs, heat sinks, optics, driver ICs, PCBs. Further, it will be explained how bespoke solutions can be obtained in these categories.
The workshop is free-of-charge, and attendees will be provided with refreshments and lunch during the day.
Free WiFi access, stationery and training material will be provided.
Participants can discuss their own project, which we can help to design.
10:00 Coffee, registration and welcome
10:30 Session 1
11:30 Session 2
12:30 Lunch and Networking
13:15 Session 3
14:15 Session 4
Selecting and designing your optimal LED
LED Engin an Osram business
- General overview of LED families
- Configuring your bespoke LED by means of Spectral Tool
- Technical considerations for custom
- Commercial considerations for custom
Optics and designing your optimal beam
- Far field, near field considerations
- Mixing, uniformity, homogeneity: how to qualify this and how to achieve the desired spec
- Radiation density: approaches for the overall efficacy of an optical system
- Material choices (PMMA, Silicone): explanation of the aspects that can lead to the right choice
- Beam angle, beam shape, contrast: define the key data to achieve the expected beam
- Technical considerations for custom: essential input data and process workflow
- Commercial considerations for custom: how to come to optimised costing
Thermal management and PCB technology for high power LEDs
- LED Performance, lifetime and safety are topics that can be influenced by managing the temperature and PCB design.
- A calculation example will be presented to make a first order analysis.
Thermal interface material and heatsink properties and a selection for optimization will be explained.
- Different PCB technologies will be presented with each its own properties for bespoke led module solutions.
Constant current drive electronics for LEDs
- Hybrid power designs
- Demonstrating analogue, digital and hybrid (mixed) solutions for power conversion and LED lighting
- “How not to design an LED driver”
- Highlights experience gained on driver design, including poor component selection, PCB design, and the impacts on performance and EMC failures
Sign up here:
Bookings are closed for this event.