Brimrose is a world technology leader in the area of Acousto-Optic components.
Product lines include:
- Acousto-Optic Tunable Filters (AOTFs),
- Acousto-Optic Modulators,
- Acousto-Optic Frequency Shifters,
- Acousto-Optic Mode Lockers,
- Acousto-Optic Deflectors,
- Acousto-Optic Cavity Dumpers and
- Acousto-Optic Q-Switches.
Driving electronics are also available for all devices.
Acousto-Optic (AO) devices are used in laser equipment for electronic control of the intensity and position of the laser beam. AO interaction occurs in all optical mediums when an acoustic wave and a laser beam are present in the medium. When an acoustic wave is launched into the optical medium, it generates a refractive index wave that behaves like a sinusoidal grating. An incident laser beam passing through this granting will diffract the laser beam into several orders. With appropriate design, the first order beam has the highest efficiency. Its angular position is linearly proportional to the acoustic frequency, so that the higher the frequency, the larger the diffracted angle.